Monday, January 18, 2010

More Updates from Sister Mary- courtesy of her niece

Sent: Friday, January 15, 2010 5:05 AM
Subject: Re: call

I heard planes coming and going through the night. Our main problem outside of all the human suffering is getting fuel for the generator and car. Our inverters are good but as there is no electricity we need the diesel. We had another tremor last night. I don't even have to feel it because the more than 1300 peolpe living in our soccer field sing out to God, asking a blessing on them...so Haitian and so heartbreaking. We got a new supply of basic meds and I think will be a staging center for a Mash like team of MDs. We are in such need of surgeons and our strongest meds for pain is Ibuprohen! Jo money is really the best as I am spending a lot buying meds,food and supplies. You can ask people to make the checks out to Matthew 25 House and I sent the address to one of the family. Prayers for all of us for strngth sure helps. I am holding my own, despite the frequent wet kisses of our "guard dog" as I slept on outside. I have a body guard of young men who make sure my hand is held as I go in out and around the soccer field. These young men have done a phenomenal job in organizing the help we at MH25 are giving to this area.
IContribute to groups collecting clothes another need but a big group effort to send them would be necessary because of the fuel and truck problems.
There will probably be folks saying they or someone they know can get to us, but it could well be a scam as so many buildings are gone and no business is happening. Love you all and all you are doing for me


Sent: Sun, January 17, 2010 12:07:34 PM
Subject: Sister Mary Speaks Out!


Hi All,
This is an e-mail I just received from my Aunt, Sister Mary Finnick, who is a missionary in Haiti, she lives a few miles from the airport in POP, 33 Del mas. I know we have many Washington faces in the Commonwealth this weekend, please feel free to share her thoughts with them.

Bill just tell anyone you know how frustratingly angry your aunt is knowing supplies are at the airport but because of the inept coordination of the UN and US, there has been no one to tell the gas station operators to give out gas so folks can get out of the city. I have read the most foolish reasons for this and many are so untrue as I do believe the reason for this is to make the Haitian people look as awful as possible because so little has arrived. I know it sounds like a conspiracy but I honestly don't know why MDs from Belgian arrived and started to work days ago and none from the States. The lack of coordination has and continues to be awful. Despite having supplies at the airport it was closed so Hilary could visit, If the US Army could do that why can't they get supplies to us???? Please let as many folks as you know of the courage of the Haitian people despite this contd . promise of help. Tell them what it is like to give a 7 year old children's Motrin for a broken jaw and deep leg lacerations and Motrin 200 mg to a woman who leg has been amputated from the knee down and then ask me how we can fight wars in other parts of the world but can't find a way to help a country 2 hours away. No wonder Osamab is still walking around.
What would have happened if on 9/11, if we waited to plan coordination and refused to let supplies into NYC because there was too much rubble. The Americans who have arrived many through the DR have been wonderful but they had to fight to find a way. Nothing has been done to make help accessible. I know it is there from the emails but as a Naval Officer is quoted as saying the terrain is difficult. There is an ocean out there and no fuel can get in???? Give me a break I love you all and have to go. As the UNPres. said "lack of aid is making the Haitian people restive" So you have one very restive aunt!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: