Tuesday, December 15, 2009

success

I still have 2 finals to go this semester, and then I begin the work of my big research project, like 4 Christmases, moral character application etc etc etc.

I've got to say I'm feeling pretty burnt out.  Pretty burnt out and apathetic about it all.

Part of me knows I will feel relief just getting it done, getting through it. But that certainly isn't the same as success.  But maybe law school doesn't have much to do with that anyway.  Maybe it's more some of the things I've already done.

One of the best things I got out of my experience at the Panetta Institute was a card.  For some reason, my favorite thing about the whole experience was that they picked out a card for me with this quote on the cover:

"To laugh often and much;

to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;
to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends;
to appreciate beauty;
to find the best in others;
to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch 
or a redeemed social condition

to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded."

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

I guess I'll get back to studying now.  I think my lack of motivation comes from my knowledge that it really has little to do with who I am...

No comments: