Thursday, March 4, 2010

gummy bears

Today was a good day, despite the intense rain storms of last night. I didn't sleep much, so decided to sleep through breakfast. When I woke up I walked around until I found Daniel cleaning some plastic chairs. He had asked Eileen- the nurse in charge of the clinic- if we could watch. We brought the chairs over to the clinic and sat beside Darline, a 20 year old med student. Darline was doing intake alone, so she explained to us how to do everything. We even learned how to take blood pressure. She showed me a few times, then sent us around- I took blood pressure and temperatures and Dan would help me and write it all down. Darline checked my work at first until she was sure I was doing it correctly, but I still did everything 2 and 3 times to be sure.

A few people were hypertensive, but the majority in that area just needed someone to tell them nothing was wrong. I heard someone say that many in the camp seem to be depressed or have emotional trauma so they go to the Dr not really knowing what's wrong. I think sometimes it helps to just have the clumbsy blanc (white) fuss around on your arm and then assure you you're OK before the real Drs see them. While we did blood pressure, darline would ask about symptoms and the Elieen and another med student- Noze Souvenir- dressed bandages for the amputees and more seriously injured.

We worked all morning and I got good at blood pressure. We saw 40 patients. We then brought the staff some water and rested a bit. Then we tackled that back room again. Cleaning it out was a nightmare but really really useful. The room had been destroyed during the quake (I mean the contents a mess- not the structure) and no one had time to g through it. So cleaning it- we found all kinds of things that will be useful- reading classes and soap for the clinic- useable art work to sell in Matthew 25. I think cleaning the house is when it really began to hit us that we were there. Less than 2 months ago I was raiding Vivian's little art store. And now, the beautiful art lay in piles covered in dust under piles of junk. So we cleaned it up as best as we could and Sister Mary seems very pleased. She says it looks like a different house, and as modestly as possible I can tell you it does. I think with the shock finally wearing off- we stood on the roof for a while, in the place where our room had been.

After, we went back out to the tent city to see Souvenir do physical therapy. Souvenir speaks English well and told me his story: he was a good soccer player growing up and won a scholarship to go to school. That was necessary because his mother is a maid and there are 6 kids. Because of his schooling- he learned English and Spanish too. Because of his English, he was able to find the woman who ran the medical school. He was able to get her cell phone number and called and texted her every day for weeks until she agreed to see him. He went to the school the next day at 8 am but she didn't come out to see him until 3 pm. She then gave him a test and said he could come to school if he passed. He got an 80 percent and started med school. That was 3 years ago. He now has 2 years left ( a few months and then residency) but his mother's boss died in the earthquake so there is no more money for school. He won't be able to continue unless he can find someone to sponsor him the 100 dollars (US) a month until he finishes. Anyway. I got all his information incase anyone can think of a way to help. His classes resume next week, but as of right now, this 23 year old boy who volunteers every day in the tent city- won't be able to afford to go.

Souvenir called me over to the tent with the most injured. A little girl with a missing leg called me over ("K-tee K-tee!") I played with her and her friend a bit, then watched Souvenir lead a woman (missing one leg, and with only a half a foot on her remaining leg) around the basketball court. She hoped with the walker, on her own, the entire way. Talk about strength. Then Eileen walked us around the neighborhood and I gave out gummy bears I brought- one at a time. It's simply indescribable to see a child cherish a single gummy bear. They licked and sucked on them so long- and they'd smile with the bright colors between their teeth.

Tonight we give Matthew 25 the money we brought, hug our friends again, and prepare to leave in the morning.

But first- the Portuguese medical team has prepared us a traditional dinner.

Bon dormee, amies (sleep well, friends).

2 comments:

PediaMom said...

Caitlin, thanks so much for your posts. I'm glad that you made it there safely, and pray for your safe return. Your descriptions of your experience are beautiful and really paint a picture of what your are doing. Of course we can't wait to hear them in person as well. If law school doesn't work out, it looks like you may have a future in medicine. :)
Safe travels, Tonia (Daniel's sister)

naive art for sale said...

Your descriptions of your experience are beautiful and really paint a picture of what your are doing.